PFB Emissions Intensity

The key emissions that we track are GHG’s, VOCs, NOx and SOx. We monitor emissions as a ratio of tonnes emitted to tonnes of EPS foam produced. Reductions in the ratios indicate better performance.

Since 2008 we have reduced VOC emissions intensity due to efforts to introduce raw materials with lower VOC content. PFB’s long term plan is to continue converting applications and manufacturing facilities over to the lower VOC raw materials to continuously improve our impact on the environment. In 2008, 13% of our raw materials consumed contained reduced levels of VOCs. In 2010 we successfully increased the usage of low VOC alternatives to 59% of the total input. Most recently in 2016 the use of low VOC raw material was 72% of total usage. This effort has resulted in an average annual VOC emissions reduction of over 100 tonnes and a total reduction of 600 tonnes over the past 6 years.






GHG Emissions vs. Savings Potential

Carbon dioxide, the principal green house gas (GHG) emitted, arises from burning natural gas and other fuels in our production operations. We calculate and report GHG emissions in metric tonnes.

Our insulating products provide customers with the means to reduce their energy consumption and, consequently, their GHG emissions. In 2016, PFB emitted 8,893 metric tonne of CO2 equivalents directly from its operations. The estimated GHG reductions that could be achieved if all of the EPS insulation products made by PFB in 2015 were applied to exterior walls of single family residential housing in Canada would be approximately 45,000 metric tonne. A ratio of 5 to 1. Through improvements in the energy-efficiency of our processes we intend to focus on reducing our GHG emissions to further improve the net benefits provided by our products.



(1) Note - a data entry error for GHG equivalents from natural gas combustion emissions previously reported for 2014 was detected in 2015, this error exaggerated the previously reported GHG emissions. This error has been corrected for this report.

(2) Estimated GHG emissions reductions potential due to the installation of PFB foam insulation products sold during the reporting year - estimates based on data in “Energy and Greenhouse Gas Savings for EPS Foam Insulation Applied to Exterior Walls of Single Family Residential Housing In The U.S. and Canada”, Franklin Associates Ltd. February 2009. GHG savings is based on reduction in heating when insulation installed as per assumptions in the Franklin report. Note that other insulation materials will provide equivalent reduction in energy and GHG savings if installed to the same level of thermal performance.



Emissions of GHG was relatively unchanged in 2016 over the previous year. However, the emissions intensity of GHG (per unit output) exhibited an increase because production output was up over the previous year. We are continuously working to produce ongoing efforts to continuously improve our use of energy and raw materials.


back to top | home | make a difference! | environmental data | innovation & leadership | employee safety | awards | people stories | initiative profiles
© PFB Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use is prohibited.